Friday, August 19, 2011

In twenty years, will I be the old timer that still programs in C?

I was speaking to someone at a party that told me COBOL programmers make a lot of money nowadays. Somewhat shocked, I asked how this was possible. His answer was simple. There's a ton of COBOL legacy software out there and very few out there who can work on it. Companies are paying up the wazoo to grab those few out there still remaining.

I recently participated in some interviewing events for recent college grads/soon to be college grad
s. It blew me away how few of the candidates had worked in C or C++. In fact, some barely even touched C/C++.

So I started wondering, will I be that rare C programmer in 20 years? I'll be the rare programmer who knows the ancient art of working with pointers?

No comments:

Post a Comment